One in four people in Australia reports feeling unhappy about the appearance of their teeth and smile. If you are self-conscious or seeking to improve your smile, you are not alone. This type of insecurity can have a significant impact on your confidence, with some patients even reporting they avoid smiling in photos or avoiding some social situations.
Fortunately, there are plenty of things you can do to find the ideal smile. In the last five years, it is estimated that Australians spent more than $40 million on cosmetic dental work. This can range from complete smile makeovers to less complicated procedures that replace chipped or mishappen teeth. More and more people in Australia are now choosing porcelain dental veneers to achieve their ideal smile.
When considering veneers, you need to understand the different types of veneers on offer, as your choice can significantly impact the appearance of your smile. So it is essential to consider your options carefully.
Want to know more about choosing from different veneer shapes and shades? Then you’re in the right place. Read on to find out everything you need to know to find the veneers that are right for you.
Look For a Dental Veneer Provider With Experience
The skills, experience and technology of the dentist that designs and fits your veneers greatly impact on the quality of your smile. So even if you know the type of veneer you are looking for, you should take the time to find a trusted dentist that is an experienced veneer provider.
A great provider should:
- Have lots of experience with fitting dental veneers
- Be able to show you multiple recent before and after photos of their patients
- Be able (and willing) to provide their credentials and qualifications
- Have great reviews from previous patients
- Be happy to discuss the benefits of veneers and your options with you
- Be able to answer any questions that you might have about the process
- Provide information on how to care for your veneers so that they last
Getting veneers can be a big financial commitment. It is essential to select an experienced dentist with proven skills and experience that can satisfactorily answer your questions to help you make an informed decision about your choice of veneers.
Choosing Between Different Veneer Shades
One of the most significant benefits of getting veneers is that they can give you a flawless, natural-looking smile. In addition, when fitted, they will be free of any stains or discolouration your teeth might have developed over the years.
But did you know that you can get veneers in a range of shades? They range from brilliant white to darker shades of cream and off-white. This ensures that everyone can find a shade to suit their skin tone and match their existing teeth colour.
It is a good idea to consult an experienced cosmetic dentist to discuss these options when choosing a shade. Most people are looking for a bright, white, clean smile. However, choosing a shade that is too light for your skin tone could look unnatural.
Most experienced providers will recommend choosing a shade that closely matches the colour of your natural teeth. Of course, you can go one or two shades lighter than this if you want. However, staying around this shade will ensure your veneers look as natural as possible.
Finding the Perfect Shape of Veneers
A lot of people overlook the importance of the shape of their veneers. However, this can also significantly impact how natural your final smile design looks.
If you are getting a few individual veneers, you will want these to match the shape of your existing teeth as much as possible. So this can be a useful starting point.
However, if you are getting a full set of veneers, you have more options to consider. First, you will want to consider veneers that are the perfect size for your mouth, so your smile is in proportion with the rest of your face.
Specific shapes of veneers also suit some face shapes better than others. For example:
- Shorter, rounded veneers look best on people with heart-shaped faces
- Squarer veneers are ideal for people with oval-shaped faces
- Longer, more pronounced veneers look best on people with round faces
- Rounded veneers help to soften features on square-shaped faces
So it is a good idea to pick veneers that will compliment the rest of your facial features. Your cosmetic dentist will be ideally placed to explore different options to ensure you get the look individually tailored to you and what you want to achieve.
The Importance of Dental Veneer Care
Before you commit to veneers, it is essential that you understand how to look after them. Your cosmetic dental provider will also discuss this with you and share their top tips for maintenance.
To look after your veneers and ensure that they last as long as possible, le you should:
- Use a soft toothbrush when cleaning your veneers to avoid overpolishing them
- Attend regular dental check-ups (at least once every six months)
- Follow a proper oral hygiene routine (including brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing once a day)
- Avoid drinking anything that could stain your teeth, such as sofa, coffee, or red wine
- Quit smoking to avoid staining your veneers
- Avoid chewing hard objects or foods (such as ice, pens, or your nails) as these can chip your veneers
- If you grind your teeth, you may also need to use a night guard
Dental veneers can last up to 10 to 15 years or even longer with proper care. However, they are susceptible to staining and damage if you do not look after them, just like natural teeth.
Without proper care, you may have to have them replaced sooner. So you can protect your investment and your smile by following your dental veneer provider’s care advice.
Get Help Choosing Dental Veneers Today
As you can see, when it comes to choosing dental veneers, there are plenty of things to consider.
Opting for veneers that match the shape and shade of your teeth will help you achieve a natural-looking smile. However, an experienced dental veneer provider will discuss your treatment options to help you achieve your desired look. Get in touch with our expert team today to
To find out more about what is possible with high-quality porcelain veneers today. Adelaide Cosmetic Dentistry is happy to help!